|Research Areas||Publications||Events||Energy Ph.D List|
Profile: MANIT was chosen as the nodal centre for energy theme under Indo-UK RECs project in 1994 by Government of India. Energy centre, MANIT Bhopal was inaugurated by the former president of India late Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma on 12 July 1997. Energy Centre premises have a built up area of about 3000 sq m. Many associated faculty members have received extensive training in specialised fields of energy in different British Universities and industries under indo- UK RECs project. The centre has developed nine laboratories in various specialised area like energy conservation, energy audit solar thermal and PV technology, wind energy, heat transfer systems etc.
In 2004, Department of Energy was created for Post-graduate and PhD program and in 2007 it became the pioneer in India to start Under-graduate program in Energy Engineering, with intake of 40 students. Many research and development projects and consultancy projects were taken up and completed by the energy centre. The centre is currently running Two PG program; M.Tech in Renewable Energy and M.Tech in Green Technology. The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy, MNRE Govt of India, has recognised the Energy Centre for award of Post-graduate Fellowships for M.Tech as well as Ph.D. program.
The vision of the centre is “To develop successful academic research community in the area of sustainable and green technology for a better tomorrow". In conformity with our vision, the centre will take up the following missions:--
The research mission of the Energy Centre is to:
• Contribute to the development of next generations of highly qualified and ethical professionals through specialized training and knowledge build-up in areas of green technology and renewable energy.
• Promote the vision of the centre among academic, industrial, and public sectors through demonstration and dissemination of green technology projects and create environment.
• Develop eco-friendly sustainable technologies to ensure the energy security of the country and the world.
• Partner with industry, research organizations and government in India and abroad for the commercialization of research ideas.
• Improve the quality of life of citizens of India, conserving natural resources, and serve as an engine for socio economic and sustainable development.
• Promote and establish a clear pathway to make MANIT a green campus within the next ten years and to propagate green campus ideas and methodologies
4. Objectives of the Centre:
1. To develop sustainable infrastructure by providing solutions to acute problems in energy security
2. To integrate the efforts of scientists and engineers working with different aspects of green energy
3. To provide quality education through regular educational programs (such as M.Tech., Ph.D.) and short term programs (with duration 1 week, 2 week, month), for providing trained manpower to industry in the area of green energy and energy efficency
4. To promote education and awareness related to energy and environment by becoming a nodal center for Central region of India.
5. To contribute to grass-root level research and deployment in the field of energy and environment.
6. The centre aims at providing quality postgraduate education to meritorious undergraduates with keen interest in both the fields of green energy and energy efficiency.
7. Energy centre is proposed to closely associate with industry and several national & foreign academic institutions of repute with an aim to foster cutting edge research and establish ourselves as a leader in this field
8. To strengthen and rationalise the research, demonstration and development efforts in all green energy technologies
9. Energy centre is dedicated to accelerate the deployment of renewable energy and low carbon generation technology through the utilization of Biomass, Wind, Hydro Power, Solar PV and Solar Thermal energy.
10. By the objectives and goals described above, it is believed that Energy centre achievement would lead to "Green Energy for Green Campus”. The centre's dream is to turn MANIT into a GREEN CAMPUS by introduction of green energy and energy efficiency approach.
With these objectives, in mind Energy centre could contribute significantly in making India a world leader in this area and make a social impact as well.